About

In 1877, five young businessmen in Sterrett Township organized the Pennsylvania Water Company to provide for the water needs of the little village of Wilkinsburg.  In 1888, it merged with the Penn Water Company, the first growing step in a succession of quality service to Western Pennsylvania communities.  In 1946, the Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission approved purchase of the Pennsylvania Water Company by the eight month old Wilkinsburg-Penn Joint Water Authority (WPJWA), formed on September 11, 1945 at a meeting of officials of the Borough of Wilkinsburg and Penn Township.  Today the Authority is governed by a twelve member Board representing East Suburban communities.

We are the fifth largest water authority in the state and currently serve a total of 40,000 customers.  Our borders reach from the City of Pittsburgh to the Westmoreland County line and from the Monongahela River to the Allegheny River.  We pump an average of 22 million gallons of water per day through 430 miles of pipe.  Our regulations are set by the DER, EPA and Allegheny County Health Department.